This Summer I shall be teaching Calculus III (MATH 0240) course at the University of Pittsburgh, between May 15-June 25. Mainly, we shall cover vectors, vector functions and space functions, arc length and curvature, functions of several variables, double and triple integrals, line integrals, surface integrals and some other related topics.
About the course
This is the third sequence of three calculus courses for science and engineering students. The goal is to prepare you to make use of calculus as a practical problem-solving tool.
Math 0230 or equivalent, with grade of C or better.
Lectures and Recitations
- Lectures are from Monday to Thursday, 6-7.45 PM in 226 Benedum Hall.
- Recitations are from Monday to Thursday, 8-9 PM in Benedum Hall. The recitation instructor for this class is Mohan Wu. His office hours are Wednesday, 3-5 PM in the MAC.
- Moreover, you can also check the regular teaching page for this class: https://lupucezar.wordpress.com/teaching/ (Calculus 3-Summer 2017).
- Quizzes and exams will appear on the teaching section above.
My office hours are from Monday to Thursday, 5-6 PM in the MAC. If you want to schedule an additional meeting with me in my office (Thackeray hall, room 711) do not hesitate to send me an e-mail to email@example.com.
References (Lecture notes, textbook, and practice exams)
- P. Hajlasz, Lecture Notes in Calculus III, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.
- J. Stewart, Essential Calculus, Early Transcendentals, 2nd edition.
- A. Athanas, Calculus 3-practice exams.
- I. Sysoeva, Calculus 3-practice exams.
- E. Trofimov, Calculus 3-webpage.
- A. Yarosh, Calculus 3-webpage.
Your final grade will be determined as follows:
- Homework: 20% (2 homeworks of 10% each)
- Quizzes: 20% (4 quizzes of 5% each)
- Two exams: 60% (2 exams of 30% each)
- LON CAPA homework: 5% (extra credit)
I shall assign two homeworks which will appear on the teaching section. The first homework is here. Each one will be due before the exams. Additionally, one can do problems from the LON CAPA system. If you find it really annoying, you can also do this.
Final Grade Policy
A: 90-100%, A-: 85-90%, B+: 80-85%, B: 75-80%, B-: 70-75%, C+: 65-70%, C: 60-65%.
The first exam will be on Thursday, June 1st, 6-8 PM in Benedum 226.
The second exam will be on Thursday, June 22nd, 6-9 PM in Benedum 226.
Disability Resource Services
If you have any disability for which you are or may be requesting an accomodation, you are encouraged to contact both your instructor and the Office of Disability and Services, 216 William Pitt Union (412) 624-7890 as early as possible in the term.